Marriage License

Applying for a License

You can apply for a marriage license in any Minnesota county if you are both 18 and will be married in Minnesota. You don’t need to live in that county or in the State of Minnesota. You do not need to be an American citizen. The marriage license is valid anywhere in the State of Minnesota. A list of the locations where a marriage license can be purchased is listed below. You can also go on the Internet and check the county websites for forms and information. The county websites are all like this – – just substitute your county’s name for Hennepin.

Apply Together in Person

Both parties are required to apply together in person. However, if one party cannot be present, the absent person can sign an application form and have his or her signature notarized. Discuss this with the license center staff. Once this notarized application is received, the Marriage License will be issued.

Submit Your Information in Advance Online

Hennepin County allows you to submit your information online. Once you submit it, you get a confirmation number. Then, when the two of you show up to apply, just give the clerk your confirmation number and your application is ready to sign. Both of you must still be there to sign.

Information Required

You will need this information – full names before and after marriage, addresses, social security numbers, dates and places of birth. If either, or both, are divorced, you will need to know the date and county where the divorce was granted. Identification requirements vary in each county. A valid driver’s license, photo I.D., or certified copy of a birth certificate may be requested. Call for information before you go to the license center.

Special Conditions

If either applicant is under 18, or has a criminal felony conviction, special requirements may apply. Call the location where you will apply for more information.


Effective August 1st 2010, the license fee is $115.00. It’s best to take cash or a credit card, if the license office accepts credit cards. If you pay by check, some counties may require a delay of three weeks before they will issue a Marriage License. The $115.00 fee can be reduced to $40.00 with 12 hours of premarital counseling.

Premarital Counseling

Premarital counseling is not required, but a reduced marriage license fee of $40.00 is available if you have had 12 hours of premarital counseling. Request further information at the license office. Most counties have the reduced fee form on their website.

No Blood Test is Required.

So applying for a Marriage License isn’t like going to the Doctor.

No Waiting Period after August 1st 2016

Until August 1st 2016, there is a minimum five-day waiting period after the day of application. If one party has a felony conviction, and is requesting a name change, there is a 30 day waiting period. In some counties there is a 21 day delay if you pay by check – ask before you write the check. The five day waiting period can be waived by a District Judge. The Judge who waives the five-days cannot perfrom your marriage.

Effective August 1st 2016, the law is changed. Marriage Licenses will be issued immediately with no five-day delay. The Governor signed the Bill on May 22nd 2016 and it will become the law on August 1st, 2016.

How long is a marriage license good for?

Your license will be valid in any Minnesota County for six months after it’s issued. Once the six months have past from the date of issue, if you haven’t gotten married, you need to return to the issuing office and turn in your marriage license for cancellation. The new August 1st 2016 law allows you to have it reissued free with a new six month period of validity.

What if I lose or misplace the license?

A marriage license can be reissued. Some counties may charge a fee for doing this.

Marital Name Changes

If you intend to change your name at the time of marriage you will indicate this on the application for your marriage license. Judge Armstrong is required to file the completed Certificate of Marriage with the county that issued the license. That county will then mail you a certified copy, and you can use the certified copy for changing your name. Your social security information, driver’s license, passport, etc. will all have to be changed.

Can both Spouses change their names?

The wording of Minnesota Statute 517.08 subd. 1a. (9) has been interpreted differently in each county in the Twin City area. Some counties only allow the couple to adopt one or both of their two last names. Some counties, including Anoka, Ramsey, and Washington County, allow a couple to choose an altogether different name and to change their first and middle names too.

Before you buy your marriage license, be sure that your choice of names is acceptable to that county. A marriage license can be purchased in any county in Minnesota and the ceremony can then be performed anywhere in the State. Shop around until your proposed name change is acceptable; and then purchase your license in that county. Call the license office first.

How do I prove that my name has been changed?

After August 1st 2009, Minnesota only requires the County to issue a marriage license document and an original fill-in-the-blank marriage certificate – with no copies. Judge Armstrong will complete the paperwork on your wedding day.

How many fill-in-the-blank copies of the Certificate you will get depends on the county from which you purchased your marriage license. Hennepin and Ramsey give the original and two “souvenier” copies. Anoka, Washington, Carver, and Dakota only give the original certificate.

These “souvenir” copies are really duplicate originals. If you get a signed “souvenier” copy, keep it safe until you get the certified copy in the mail. If the original were to get lost in the mail, you may be able to file the “souvenier” copy because it’s more than a “souvenier,” it’s really a duplicate original. However some Counties don’t accept the “souvenir” copy and a new original would then have to be issued and circulated for signatures.

On the day of your marriage ceremony, Judge Armstrong will give you one or two signed “souvenier” copies of the marriage certificate – or Tom may only have the original. He will take the Original with him to be filed – and you don’t get any documents on your wedding day. It depends on how many blank certificates the county gave you – they are only required to give you the Original.

After the marriage ceremony, Tom is required to mail the Original signed marriage certificate to the county from which it was purchased. Approximately two to three weeks after the date of marriage, the county will mail a certified copy of the marriage certificate to the address listed on the application. This certified copy has a certification stamp and a raised seal. You can obtain additional certified copies at any time from any county in Minnesota for a fee of $9.00 each. A certified copy is all that is legally required as proof of your marriage and your new name.

Where to Purchase Marriage Licenses

Call or go to the county website for hours of operation. These are the hours listed as of June 2016. Some License Centers have evening and Saturday hours. Call first to be sure of evening and Saturday hours.

Anoka County License Center Locations


Anoka Government Center
Vital Statistics
2100 Third Avenue – Suite 119
Anoka, Minnesota 55303-5036
M-F 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Saturday Closed

Blaine License Center
10995 Club West Pkwy, Suite 700a
Blaine, Minnesota 55449
MTuWF 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Thur 11 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Saturday Closed

Columbia Heights License Center
3982 Central Avenue NE
Columbia Heights, Minnesota 55421
MTuThF 7 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Wed 11 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Saturday Closed

Coon Rapids License Center
455 99th Ave NW, Suite 100
Coon Rapids, Minnesota 55433
MWThF 8 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Tues 11 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Saturday Closed

Ham Lake License Center
17565 Central Ave. NE Suite 330
Ham Lake, Minnesota 55304
MTuWF 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Thur 11 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Saturday Closed

Ramsey License Center
Ramsey City Hall
7550 Sunwood Drive NW, Suite A
Ramsey, Minnesota 55303
M-F 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Saturday Closed

Carver County License Center Location


Courthouse – Taxpayer Services
600 East Fourth Street
Chaska, Minnesota 55318-2102
M-F 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Saturday Closed

Chisago County License Center Location


Chisago County Government Center
County Recorder – Room 277
313 North Main Street
Center City, Minnesota 55012
M-F 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Saturday Closed

Dakota Count License Center Locations


Hastings Administration Center
1590 Highway 55 West
Hastings, 55033-2343
M-F 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Saturday Closed

Northern Service Center
1 Mendota Road West
West St. Paul, Minnesota 55118-2372
MTThF 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Wed. 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Saturday Closed

Western Service Center
County Road 42 & Galaxie
14955 Galaxie Avenue
Apple Valley, Minnesota 55124-8579
MWF 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
TTh 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Saturday Closed

Hennepin County License Center Locations


Recording for all locations – 612-348-8240

Questions regarding your marriage license 612-348-8919 and ask for the marriage desk.

Brookdale Service Center
6125 Shingle Creek Parkway
Brooklyn Center, Minnesota 55430
M-F 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sat. 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.

Government Center Service Center
2nd Floor West Service Level – A Level
300 South 6th Street – Suite A025
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55487
M-F 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Saturday Closed

Maple Grove Service Center
9325 Upland Lane North – Suite 101
Maple Grove, Minnesota 55369
M 8 a.m. – 7 p.m.
T-TH 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
F 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Saturday Closed

Midtown Exchange Service Center
Greenway Level – Lower Level
2929 Chicago Avenue South
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55407
M-F 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Saturday Closed

North Minneapolis Service Center
1001 Plymouth Avenue North
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55411
M-F 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Saturday Closed

Ridgedale Service Center
12601 Ridgedale Drive
Minnetonka, Minnesota 55343
M-F 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Sat. 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.

Southdale Service Center
7009 York Avenue South
Edina, Minnesota 55435
M-F 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Sat. 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.

University of Minnesota
Coffman Memorial Union
Ground Floor near Great Hall
300 Washington Avenue SE
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Wed. Only 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.

Isanti County License Center Location


Courthouse – Recorder’s Office
Main Floor – Room 1104
555 18th Avenue S.W.
Cambridge, Minnesota 55008
M-F 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Ramsey County License Center Location


10th & Cedar
555 Cedar Street
St. Paul, Minnesota 55101
MTWF 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Thur 8 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Saturday Closed

Scott County License Center Locations


Courthouse Customer Service Center
200 West Fourth Avenue
Shakopee, Minnesota 55379
MTWF 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Th 8 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Saturday Closed

Elko New Market Service Center
In the Library
M&W 1 p.m. – 8 p.m.
110 J. Roberts Way
Elko New Market, Minnesota 55054
Closed 3:30-4:30
Tu &F 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Closed 1 p.m. – 2 p.m.
September to May Only:
Saturday 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.

Sherburne County License Center Location


Govt Center – Recorder’s Office
13880 Business Center Dr. NW
Elk River, Minnesota 55330-1692
M-F 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Saturday Closed

Washington County License Center Location


Government Center
Taxpayer Services Office – County Recorder
14949 62nd Street North
Stillwater, Minnesota 55082
M-F 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Saturday Closed

Cottage Grove Service Center
13000 Ravine Parkway South
Cottage Grove, Minnesota 55016
M-F 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Saturday Closed

Headwaters Service Center
Also called Forest Lake License Center
19955 Forest Road North
Forest Lake, Minnesota 55025
M&W 8 p.m. – 6 p.m.
TThF 8 p.m. – 5 p.m.
Sat. 8 a.m. – 12 noon

Stillwater License Center
Valley Ridge Mall
1520 West Frontage Road
Stillwater, Minnesota 55082
M&W 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
TThF 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Sat. 8 a.m. – 12 p.m.

Woodbury Service Center
Also called Woodbury License Center
2150 Radio Drive
Woodbury, Minnesota 55125
M&W 8 a.m. – 6 p.m
TThF 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Sat. 8 a.m. – 12 noon

Wright County License Center Location


Wright County Government Center
License Bureau, Room 160
10 Second Street NW
Buffalo, Minnesota 55313
MTuW&F 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Thur 8 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Saturday Closed